Scratching all day? Cracked and scaly skin? It is definitely winter time! We have some tips on how to keep your skin looking flawless all winter!
- take no more than one shower or bath daily
- avoid long bathing times (around 10 minutes is best)
- baths are kinder to the skin that showers, especially when mild unscented bath oils are used
- avoid hot water, use only warm water for proper dry skin prevention
- use a soap with a high fat content or contains glycerin or is a mild unscented moisturizing soap (e.g. Dove or Cetaphil). Avoid the use of strong anti-bacterial and/or deodorant soaps or bubble baths
- avoid scrubbing with pads, mitts, or face cloths and pat dry the skin instead of rubbing with a towel
- after shower apply moisturizer with alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or glycerin or petrolatum while the skin is still wet because moisturizers work better on moist skin
- avoid scented moisturizers or lanolin containing ones
- cover exposed skin, the dry air will dry your skin out faster if it is not covered
- Use chapstick! (everyone loves healthy lips 🙂
- In the cold dry winter months, use a humidifier to raise the relative humidity by a small amount
- Drink 8 glasses of water per day. The 8 glasses of water for the treatment of dry skin must be pure water; carbonated drinks, juices and other fluids do not count.
- Low fat dairy products
- Fruits and Vegetables that are high in Vitamin A
- Essential fatty acids (omega 3, etc. These can be found in fish products such as salmon as well as walnuts, canola oil and flax seed)
Make sure to stop in and have one of our girls help you pick out some moisturizers and lotions to help you get through the cold, dry winter months. Your skin will thank you!